Nature of Work: Under the general direction of the White County Economic Development (WCED) Board of Directors and the White County Commissioners, this position plans, organizes and implements economic development functions from conception to completion; engages in business retention, business attraction and incentive programs; performs a variety of responsible professional and technical tasks; establishes annual economic development goals and objectives for the county, and interfaces and coordinates with various developmental organizations and local businesses. The candidate must show a passion for the position and be driven to evangelize for our White County communities. Must be adaptable and willing to learn and create new opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Directs economic development initiatives to achieve the goals and objectives prepared by the President and approved/guided by the WCED Board of Directors. Provides professional economic development counsel when required and serves as an advocate for economic development in line with the County’s Comprehensive Plan and goals approved by the WCED Board of Directors and County Commissioners.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Represent White County as a member of the Indiana Regional Economic Development Initiative (READI) by joining the County Commissioner and the Mayor of Monticello in monthly meetings to oversee the seven quality of life and economic development projects totaling $30 million.
- Assumes management responsibilities for all services and activities of economic development, including attracting fundraising donations/contributions for the WCED organization and establishes and maintains a private/public partnership for positive long- term change. Should have strong financial expertise and have a working knowledge of QuickBooks.
- Analyzes existing economic conditions relative to business attraction; review modern techniques for Business Retention & Expansion; negotiates; resolves sensitive and controversial issues; monitors program performance via a Business Summary and reports monthly to the Board of Directors; the County Commissioners and the County Council. Candidate must have sound technical skills in these areas.
- Maintains a liaison with various local, State, and Federal agencies, and coordinating projects with said agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate, i.e. IEDA (Indiana Economic Development Association); IEDC (Indiana Economic Development Corporation); ISDA (Indiana State Department of Agriculture); IOCRA (Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs), and the IHCDA (Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority).
- Attends professional development workshops and conferences to keep abreast of trends and developments in the field of economic development, and to represent the interest of White County on matters related to economic development.
- Serves as a member of economic development groups (Greater Lafayette Economic Alliance) or task forces that promote economic development regionally and community development at the local, State, or Federal level, as deemed necessary or appropriate.
- Maintains strong working relationships with the public, area businesses, clients, the media, and others, and serves as an advocate for White County outside of the community.
- Works with the WCED Board of Directors to formulate and implement marketing and business attraction strategies and oversees and manages promotional/advertising programs consistent with the Target Marketing Study as prepared in 2015.
Education and/or Experience: Employee will possess any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. An example combination would be a Bachelor’s degree in public/business administration, with experience in urban planning, economics, marketing, finance or a related field. A Master’s Degree is desirable, along with seven (7) years’ experience in economic development, community development or redevelopment activities in the public or private sector in the State of Indiana. Additional consideration will be given to candidates that demonstrate considerable knowledge in business development; Project Management; local community knowledge and awareness (a significant plus), and economic development strategies. Also, considerable weight will be given to candidates that have experience and knowledge of Asian and European business cultures, with the ability to present oneself at the President and/or the CEO level.
We invite you to forward your resume by March 17, 2023 to:
c/o White County Economic Development
PO Box 1031
Monticello, Indiana 47960