The Manager, Economic Development will facilitate implementation and coordination of economic development programs and projects focused on the promotion of the economic growth of Kokomo and Howard County. Interact with President/CEO, staff, and volunteer board and council members to plan and develop efforts focused on the attraction of capital investment, job creation, entrepreneurial development, expanded tax base, and resulting ancillary improvement in overall quality of life through the expansion of existing, and the attraction of new, employers. Engage in efforts to increase the prosperity of the community through an increase in employment and population and the resulting gain in economic and demographic metrics. Direct, coordinate, and supervise the preparation of proposals to win economic development opportunities. Manage activities intended to create a framework for encouraging and facilitating entrepreneurial based business development and existing employer growth by coordinating access to local, regional and state resources.
The position reports directly to the President/CEO.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Location: Kokomo, IN
Type: Full Time – Minimum 3-year experience and/or equivalent educational experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in economic development, urban planning, public or business administration, or closely related field; and experience in real estate negotiation, economic development, redevelopment, or business assistance, including experience in program implementation, marketing, and public outreach.
- Knowledge of operational characteristics, services and activities of an economic development program
- Knowledge of organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs
- Understanding of modern principles and practices of program development and administration
- Knowledge of economic development marketing theory, principles and practices
- Ability to effectively prepare and present reports
- Knowledge of research methods and sources of information regarding economic development
- Skill in interpreting statistical data
- Ability to organize and conduct complex planning and research studies and to formulate relevant recommendations based on such research
- Ability to direct, supervise, and coordinate several major projects concurrently
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Self-motivated work ethic
- The ability to work both individually and as a part of a team
- Ability to strategize, plan, implement/execute, and follow-up on all projects
- An interdisciplinary approach working with multiple organizations, companies, directors and managers to create ownership of projects and shared successes
- Highly developed (and demonstrated) written, proofreading, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to produce innovative ideas, high-quality work under tight deadlines, communicates complex information to diverse audiences.
- Solid judgment with high standards of accuracy, responsiveness, integrity, and discretion.
- Exceptionally detail-oriented with strong project, organization, and time-management skills.
Areas of Responsibility: Manager, Economic Development
Duties to include, but not exclusive to the following:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive economic development strategy designed to enhance the community’s economic prosperity with a focus on employment and population growth.
- Manage the development of responses to economic development project inquiries.
- Research, analyze, and monitor technological, demographic, and financial factors to capitalize on market opportunities and adjust strategy to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Economic Development Council work plan.
- Develop and implement programs to encourage entrepreneurial development related to the Inventrek facility and throughout the community.
- Interact and communicate with local government officials and staff to ensure strategic and initiative alignment.
- Work with President/CEO to develop a priority of projects with timelines and a budget to effectively carry out stated objectives.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Alliance Economic Development Council
- Serve as staff liaison to the Alliance Inventrek Council
- Help serve as the Alliance representative on related local committees and other community task forces.
- Act as a liaison to the community and the Alliance supporters.
- Other tasks as assigned by the President/CEO.
- Howard County residence upon job acceptance preferred
- Availability to attend meetings outside of normal 8-5 office hours
- Work in a team environment in carrying out the mission of the Alliance
- Have an understanding and respect for the confidentiality of certain information
Review of candidates is expected to begin in June 2014 and continue until the position is filled. To apply submit a letter of interest and a resume outlining your appropriate work experience to: Michelle Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org